Working at Taproot is fun, and every day is different! Interested in joining our unique team? Check out the openings below.
We are looking for a Prep Cook to assist in the preparation of delicious dishes in the kitchen for sale at farmers markets or catering jobs. You’ll perform routine kitchen tasks such as setting up workstations and ingredients, so that food can be prepared according to recipes.
A great prep cook will be quick and diligent and willing to improve on the job. You will be deft and able to follow instructions as well as all health and safety rules in the kitchen. The ideal candidate will also be passionate about Taproot Kitchen’s mission of inclusivity and sustainability.
- Follow the prep list created by kitchen manager
- Label and stock all ingredients on shelves so they can be organized and easily accessible
- Prepare cooking ingredients by washing and chopping vegetables, cutting meat etc.
- Work with employees and volunteers to complete prep list
- Undertake basic cooking duties as needed
- Maintain a clean and orderly kitchen by washing dishes, sanitizing surfaces, taking out trash etc.
- Ensure all food and other items are stored properly
- Comply with nutrition and sanitation guidelines
- Perform other kitchen duties as assigned
- Experience as prep cook
- Knowledge of health and safety rules in a kitchen
- Manual dexterity able to operate cutting tools and kitchen utensils
- A team player with good communication skills
- Patient with an ability to stay positive under pressure
- High school diploma or equivalent is desirable; Training from a culinary school will be an asset
- Interest or experience in baking a plus
- Some weekends and evenings required depending on catering schedule
15-20 hours per week. Hourly rate $15.
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
About Taproot Kitchen
Taproot Kitchen is a culinary venture whose main ingredients are people and produce: adults with intellectual disabilities and fresh food gleaned from local farms. With these unique ingredients, our team creates artisan dishes that highlight the flavors of the season. We sell products at the North Atherton Farmers Market (May to November) and via Centre Markets online (all year). We also cater specialty events.